[ petalspeaks ]

14 December 2007

Mishap(s)

I got a call from my mum at lunchtime. She casually asked what I was doing. Said I was having my lunch at my desk. She started off with “Tadi Dan tarik meja…” and I thought ‘Oh boy, ni mesti dia tarik tablecloth and barang berterabur’. (Don’t ask how he manages to reach the tablecloth, I wonder too) Then my mum started sobbing and my blood ran cold. I tried to keep calm and figure out what she was trying to say in between sobs.

Remember this picture? The table leg he’s got a hold on is attached to a half-circle glass top facing the stairs at my parents’ house.


Aidan had pulled the table down. Right towards him.

My mum had put him in the walker and he was happily moving around trying to follow his sister. Alya wanted to watch tv so my mum turned her back to turn it on and find Animal Planet. The next thing she knew, she heard an almighty crash and turned around to find Dan-Dan’s head stuck in the table leg-frame and surrounded by a sea of glass shards.

While sitting in the walker, he had apparently tugged on the table leg and it fell towards him. The glass top missed his head and broke against the stairs but he somehow got stuck in the table’s framework. Thank Allah.

He started bawling. Alya started bawling. I think my mum cried out of shock & relief. She had to call my aunt & uncle to help clean the mess up as she didn’t dare to leave the kids.

Dan-Dan emerged with just a few scratches and cheeky as ever.



That was not the end though. Later that night, he was crawling & trying to reach the phone that was placed on our tv bench. He started to melonjak-lonjak and before I could put a top to it, ended up bumping his head. Resulted in a neat lil blue benjol over his right eyebrow to accompany the scratch over his left eyebrow from the earlier misadventure. Man, you really cannot take your eyes off this dude for a second.

I don’t wanna be the over-protective mother who’s constantly hovering, all afraid of something, anything happening to her kid. That’s no way to live and that’s no way for my kids to live either. I guess I have to find the right mix of protectiveness and letting them do their own thing and learning from it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nina @ BabyBoon said...

Gosh! Alhamdulillah Aidan is okay and unhurt! That's all that matters.

Sigh. Gib's just like Aidan too. Can hardly tear my eyes away even for one second. He gets blue-black marks on him from bumps and falls. But i really do believe that some things have to be learned. You see, now Gib's wayyy more careful with things than Shamel is. Shamel's very protected (his Bibik and Mama are very protecting and they do hover alot), so Shamel doesn't understand dangers and pain. I'm trying to find the right mix of protectiveness too. Do share if you have any tips, yeah?

12:22 PM  
Blogger Nina @ BabyBoon said...

oops. not protecting. protective!

12:22 PM  
Blogger MDR said...

Alhamdulillah, Aidan was not as badly hurt.. it always scares me to think of the what-ifs, but yes, I agree..we do have to find a balance of protectiveness and independence...it's impossible to be a 'hovercraft' 24-7 and kids have to learn about dangers, pain et. al.

Aqila started bumping into things once she started walking...so far no serious mishaps, but she's learnt to take her anger out on the thing that hurt her i.e to babap the floor/door or whatever object caused her 'pain'..

Hubs is not agreeable to this (it's her grandma that taught her to do that), because he says "Salah sendiri jgn nak salahkan benda tu" haha...but at least when she babaps the object, she forgets the 'pain' and avoids crying..

I don't know if that's good or bad...

1:04 AM  
Blogger petal said...

babybooned > yep, sometimes they have to kena baru tau..

mdr > at least dia babap sendiri.. alya will wail & command us to babap whatever caused her the pain on her behalf

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home